Homeowners in Dallas can keep their home comfortable all year long, and keep the utility bill low by employing some simple energy saving tips. According to the Energy Information Administration, the average household spends an average of about 2 month on energy bills.
When you know how to save money on Dallas electric bills, you’ll be able to build up your savings. Are you ready to remedy your Dallas electric bill blues? Read up on our energy saving tips below to help you save money on your home’s monthly electricity bill.
How to Save Money on Electric Bills in Dallas
No matter where you live, reducing energy waste results in energy savings. Here are some energy saving tips Dallas homeowners can act on all year long.
- We recommend asking for a professional energy audit to assess how much energy your home uses.
Many times an audit is free, and if you follow the recommendations of the energy auditor, you could reduce your monthly electric bill statements by up to 30%.
- Use only as much light as you need. A great way to do this is to install dimmer switches. Dimmer switches are a great way to set the mood, too.
- Did you know that keeping your freezer and refrigerator full can save you money?
Food acts as insulation, so it holds the amount of time a fridge needs to run to stay cool down to a minimum.
- Ceiling fans are ideal for circulating the air inside your home. We like to install them in almost every room in the house to reduce the strain on the air conditioner.
- Speaking of the air conditioner, keep a yearly maintenance schedule. With routine maintenance, your HVAC system can run efficiently. Annual maintenance is great. However, you’ll also want to replace the filter every 30 days. Clean air filters mean you’ll have cleaner air in your home.
- When it’s sunny and hot outside, close the blinds and curtains, and you can cut down on your air conditioner use. You also may want to consider installing tinted window film, kind of like what you have in your automobile.
- Upgrade the appliances in your home to Energy Star® rated models. Are the machines in your home more than 10 years old? Replace them with newer ones that use much less energy.
- Plant more trees around your house. When you plant more trees, it’s not just good for the environment. Strategically placed shade trees can cool your home during those warm summer months. Consider deciduous trees that drop their leaves in winter to let the sunshine into your home. Beautiful trees can also increase your property value.
- Replace incandescent lighting in your home with LEDs. LED lights bulbs use up to 90% less energy!
- Many electric service providers offer off-peak rates. Wash your clothes and run the dishwasher during off-peak times (a.k.a. before 12 PM and after 6 PM). Take advantage of these rates and save.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Set your thermostat to run less or to turn off when you’re at work and when you’re asleep.
- When it’s cold inside your home, put an extra blanket on the bed and get cozy.
Added blankets can warm you up in the winter and may have you pulling the thermostat back another couple degrees.
Reduce Dallas Electric Bills
Besides practicing energy saving tips, another one of the best ways to lower your bill is to switch energy providers. At Vault Electricity, you can compare the electricity rates of dozens of the top residential electricity suppliers in real-time. Our up-to-the-minute rates can show you how to save money on Dallas electric bills, and reduce your monthly electric bill. Homeowners in Dallas can choose a 100% renewable energy plan with incredible rates. You’ll also find a wide variety of providers offering bill credits and various term lengths. You can lock in an incredible rate for years or go with a variable rate. Plus, since Dallas is in a deregulated market, homeowners, as well as renters, can switch providers at any time.