The cheapest electricity rates in Plano are at your fingertips. The Vault Electricity rate comparison tool allows you to search for electric plans available in your city and choose the plan that works best for your needs.
On this page, we will help you understand details like pricing structures, contract lengths, and provider reputations. This will allow you to secure an electricity plan that aligns with your goals.
Featured Electricity Rates In Plano, Texas
- Plano electricity rates are slightly cheaper than other Texas cities for residential use. Average costs are around 11-12¢/kWh.
- Plano electricity rates are almost identical, if not slightly more expensive, than rates in other Texas cities for commercial use.
- Electricity rates differ depending on the plan you purchase and the company you use.
- Research is always essential before choosing an electricity company and helps you find the best plans, discounts, and details.
Electric Companies in Plano
As in most of Texas, Plano electric companies compete for your business by trying to offer lower rates than their competitors. The table below is an example of electricity rates in Plano. To see real time rates, enter your zip code in the search box above.
|Electric Companies in Plano
|The Lantana 15
|Frontier Saver Plus 24
|Gexa Eco Saver Plus 24
|Maxx Saver Select 24
|Smart Simple 12
|Sure Value 36
|Autopay Texas 12
|Green Mountain Energy
|Pollution Free e-Plus
|Clear Deal 12
|Maxx Saver Select 12
|Gexa Eco Saver Lite 12
|Veteran Energy Valor 36
|Reliant Power On 12
Rates Updated August 1, 2023
Plano is a hub of top electric companies, according to Vault’s evaluations, and includes TXU Energy, Gexa Energy, Express Energy, and Frontier Utilities.
- Express Energy’s Flash 12 plan offers a unique $100 credit if monthly energy consumption exceeds 1000/kWh.
- Frontier Utilities grants a $100 credit in each billing cycle for usage between 1000/kWh and 2000/kWh via the Frontier Super Value 12 plan.
- Gexa Energy’s Gexa Saver Deluxe 12 plan offers a similar $100 credit for 1000/kWh to 2000/kWh usage.
- TXU Energy’s Free Nights & Solar Days plan features 100% renewable energy and includes a zero energy charge at night.
- Payless Power’s Simple 6 plan is also a good option since it does not require credit checks or deposits. But it is more expensive than most other options.
Average Residential Electricity Rates in Plano
|Average Residential Electricity Rates
Though the average cost of living in Plano is 21% more expensive than the national average, the electricity rates are not excessively expensive. The average electricity rates in Plano, Texas, are influenced by various factors, including market conditions, electricity demand, and available energy sources.
Using online comparison tools and contacting different electric companies can help you get a clearer picture of the area’s current rates and available plans. Current rates aren’t static and may change with the market.
Average Business/Commercial Electricity Rates in Plano
As with residential use, the average commercial electricity rates in Plano, Texas, are varied based on factors such as structure size, energy usage, and the specific electricity provider. On average, commercial electricity rates in Texas are around 8 to 10 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for small and medium-sized businesses.
Businesses can also explore various energy plans and contract terms offered by different providers to find the option that best suits their needs, energy consumption patterns, and budget.
|Business Electricity Rates
|6 Month Term
|1 Year Term
|2 Year Term
|3 Year Term
How Plano’s Commercial Rates Compare to Other Texas Cities
While residential rates in Plano are lower than in other cities, commercial electricity rates are fairly average.
|Commercial Electricity Rates
|6 Month Term
|1 Year Term
|2 Year Term
|3 Year Term
Average Utility Bill in Plano
The cost of living in Plano is reflected in its average utility costs, which are slightly above the national average. Knowing this, it makes sense to work diligently to find ways to cut back on your energy costs; you’ll likely pay more for other bills than you have in other cities.
|Average Utility Bill in Plano
How Do Plano’s Electricity Prices Compare to Other Texas Cities?
Plano’s electricity prices are generally consistent with the average electricity prices in other Texas cities. Texas operates a deregulated electricity market, meaning that electricity prices can vary based on location, energy demand, available energy sources, and competition among electricity providers.
In the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area, which includes Plano, electricity prices are similar to other major cities in Texas. However, prices can vary between these cities based on local factors and specific electricity providers operating in each area.
It’s important to note that electricity prices can change over time due to various factors, including market dynamics, energy supply and demand, regulatory changes, and weather conditions.
How Do Plano’s Electricity Prices Compare to Other U.S. Cities?
Electricity prices in Plano, Texas, are generally in line with the national average for residential electricity rates. The average residential electricity rate in the United States is around 13 to 14 cents per kWh. This makes the rates in Plano a few cents cheaper than average.
Moving to Plano? Here’s What to Know About Switching Electricity Providers
If you're planning to move to Plano, Texas, there are important factors to consider when switching electricity providers. Here's a guide to help you navigate the process:
- Compare Plans: Research and compare electricity plans from different providers before deciding. Consider plan types (fixed vs. variable rates), contract lengths, and additional features.
- Rates and Fees: Understand each plan's rates and associated fees. Compare the cost per kilowatt-hour (kWh) and any monthly service charges.
- Contract Lengths: Plans vary in contract lengths, such as month-to-month, 12 months, or longer. Choose a term that aligns with your stay in Plano.
- Usage History: Review your past energy usage to estimate your future consumption. This helps you choose a plan that suits your typical energy needs.
- Fixed vs. Variable Rates: Fixed-rate plans offer price stability, while variable-rate plans can fluctuate based on market conditions. Choose the one that fits your risk tolerance.
How Does Power to Choose Work?
Texas is a Power To Choose electricity market. This means that in most parts of the state, consumers can shop for electricity and choose the provider that offers the cheapest rates or the best features.
Electricity providers spend a great deal of money advertising on television. But the truth is most plans advertised on television are among the most expensive plans on the market.
Electric companies know that savvy consumers shop for electricity online. At Vault Electricity we’ve compiled all the most trusted electricity brands and the cheapest available electricity rates in one place to make the process easier for you.
Understanding Electricity Rate and Usage Level
Aligning your energy consumption habits with the right plan can help you maximize your savings. When you meticulously compare electricity rates based on your typical usage, you're taking a significant step toward selecting the energy plan that best aligns with your cost-efficiency needs. Larger structures often need more kWhs than smaller ones, and you’ll need to consider this when calculating your usage level.
Which Electric Company Distributes the Electricity in Plano?
You may be surprised to know that the retail electric company you select is not the company that is responsible for actually delivering the power to your home. Deregulation created separate roles for different types of companies within the Texas electricity market.
The heavy lifting of delivering power to your home is actually done by companies known as transmission and distribution utilities. These utilities have defined regions where they are responsible for maintaining the power lines and actually getting power into your home. If there is a power outage or a downed line, it is their crews that respond.
In the Plano area, the TDU is ONCOR. They deliver electricity to every home and business in their region regardless of who the retail electricity provider is that sells the electricity to that address.
This makes it so much easier to pick an electricity provider because it takes reliability of service out of the equation and allows consumers to focus purely on price.
Utility Company Contact Information in Plano
Plano Utilities website
Plano Waste Services website
TXU/Oncor Contact Information:
For power outages in Plano Texas, please call Oncor at 1-888-313-4747. To have underground lines located prior to digging in Plano Texas, call 1-800-344-8377. To view Plano Texas outage maps, click here.
Smart Meter Information:
For information on the smart meter program in Plano Texas, click here.
Electricity Providers in Plano
|Electricity Providers in Plano
|Champion Energy Services
|Green Mountain Energy
|First Choice Power